In celebration of Black History Month, the Baseball Reliquary and the Institute for Baseball Studies present an exhibition and program on Negro League baseball in February 2017 at the La Pintoresca Branch Library, 1355 N. Raymond Ave., Pasadena, California 91103.
A Game of Color
Exhibition: February 1-February 28, 2017
The Baseball Reliquary and the Institute for Baseball Studies present A Game of Color, an exhibition of photographs, artifacts, and artworks spotlighting the Negro Leagues, which thrived from the 1920s through baseball’s integration in 1947, and which featured the greatest African American ballplayers of that era. The La Pintoresca Branch Library will also present a display of books on the Negro Leagues, in addition to “Eight Ballplayers from the Negro Leagues,” artist Tina Hoggatt’s suite of linocut and letterpress portraits of African American baseball icons. Library hours for the exhibition are Monday-Saturday, 9:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m.; closed Sunday.
Only the Ball Was White
Film Screening and Discussion
Saturday, February 11, 2017, 2:00 p.m.
The Baseball Reliquary presents a screening of the documentary film Only the Ball Was White, produced for Chicago public television station WTTW in 1980 and broadcast in 1981. Written, produced, and directed by Ken Solarz, with narration by Paul Winfield, the film documents a bygone and bittersweet era in baseball, and features interviews with many players who were legends in the Negro Leagues but were denied the opportunity to play in the Major Leagues, including Satchel Paige, Buck Leonard, Jimmy Crutchfield, and Quincy Trouppe. The speakers for this program include Ken Solarz, television writer and producer, and Daryl Grigsby, Negro Leagues historian and author of Celebrating Ourselves: African-Americans and the Promise of Baseball.
For further information, contact the Baseball Reliquary by phone at (626) 791-7647 or by e-mail at email@example.com; or contact the La Pintoresca Branch Library by phone at (626) 744-7268.
The exhibition and program are supported, in part, by a grant to the Baseball Reliquary from the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors through the Los Angeles County Arts Commission.